Monday, March 23, 2009

A Great Shore Excursion Swimming With the Stingrays!

A Great Shore Excursion - Swimming With the Stingrays!
By Sherry Otto

The next time you go on a cruise to the Caribbean, a great shore excursion to take is one where you swim with the stingrays! Our boat took us out into the ocean about 45 minutes off the coast of Grand Cayman Island. Right out in the middle of the ocean is a shallow spot where the stingrays gather. We pulled into a spot among the ring of boats that already circled the stingrays playground, got into our snorkeling gear, got off the boat and away we went to swim with the stingrays.

When my friend Tom first told me he wanted to swim with the stingrays I was a little apprehensive because I didnt know what to expect. I imagined the floor of the ocean carpeted with them and I didnt know where I was going to step. My apprehension only increased when we were briefed on the boat about what our behavior should be like toward the stingrays, and were told not to step on their tails or we would get stung! I got off the boat a nervous wreck!

Once we were in the water my nervousness turned to delight as we watched the graceful creatures glide through the water! There were plenty of stingrays to see, but I didnt have to worry at all about where I was going to step since they didnt blanket the entire ocean floor in reality like they did in my imagination. They swam right past us; close enough so that we could reach out and touch them as they glided by.

The stingrays felt like wet mushrooms! It was such fun to gently chase them through the water to see how close to them you could get! Our guide caught a stingray and brought it up out of the water for us to see while he gave us some information about it. Then he let us take a picture with the stingray before he let it go in the water.

If you are looking for a fun experience while you are in the Caribbean, I highly recommend swimming with the stingrays!

Sherry Otto
http://www.great-caribbean-vacations.comSpecializing in fun Caribbean vacations and Caribbean travel! Also offering travel tips, hot spots, and information about romantic vacations, beach vacations, sailing vacations, golf vacations, shopping vacations, and Caribbean cruises.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=SherryOtto
http://EzineArticles.com/?A-Great-Shore-Excursion---Swimming-With-the-Stingrays!&id=164868

No comments: