Monday, January 12, 2009

24 Hours in Fukuoka City Travel Journal

24 Hours in Fukuoka City - Travel Journal
By Anndrea Law

I visited a good friend, Keiko, in Fukuoka recently. It was my first long vacation since I started working.

Tenjin StationUpon arriving at Fukuoka City, we placed my luggage in a locker at Tenjin train station, and headed to a traditional garden called Yusentei. There, we had the view of the Japanese garden to ourselves while enjoying matcha (green tea). The path in the garden led you right up to the edge of the water, and was ornamented with a small waterfall. The name of the vila is indeed apt: friendship-fountain-restplace.

Yusentei Japanese Villa

After Yusentei, we walked to the city's popular public park with a big lake. There was another park that Keiko wanted to show me, but we could not find the place. So we decided to have lunch and stumbled into a street with a character that reminded me of my place in Barcelona's Sierra district: safe, upper class and good food.

Lunch at El Bacharro

As if in reminiscence of my memory, we settled for a restaurant that serves food from Valencia called El Bacharro. I had vegetable with cheese and anchovies 'fondue', a popular dish of the house. The place was small but everything was carefully placed. We were particularly intrigued by the carefully camouflaged toilet entrance, which was no more than a flat wooden plank that ran across the concrete wall.

Western Food in Japan

According to Keiko, western cuisine is expensive in Japan, as Japanese food would be in most other cities. So during my stay, I was reated to western delicacies a la Japanese style a few times, e.g. the cheesecake that Keiko's parents bought from their weekend trip to an onsen (hot spring), and citrus muffins at a flower garden.

Court House

After lunch, we visited the courthouse, where Keiko frequented when she was still an working as a legal assistant. She tried hard to find a hearing that I would attend, but there was none that was not already in session or has ended. Still, it was interesting to see how open the courthouse is to the public. Anyone could walk in and sit into a hearing and the place resembled more of a hospital than a courthouse.

Cultural District

From the courthouse, we headed to a cultural district lined with museums, shops and temples. It was interesting to see the traditional sweets that Keiko gave me as a gift when she visited my home last summer.

We played with the traditional toys. There was one called Pabo, or something that mimicked the sound it made. It was a magical wooden book that clapped continuously once you set it in motion. The toy still rings vividly as I think about it now. Perhaps I should have bought one like Keiko said. But then we agreed that she would buy it for my first-born.

The porcelain artiste was in the musuem today. He was affable and chatty. We asked him to recommend a place to visit. He checked the time and replied that there was a Buddhist temple nearby that was still open for another hour. There, we could go through a test to see if we would go to heaven.

Buddhist Temple

The test was a journey into a dark passage way behind the alter of a big Buddha carved out of cypress. If you groped along the walls and touched a metal ring, then you are going to heaven. Silly as it may sound, I felt a real sense of cleansing after the test. For in the pitch blackness, ironically, it was as if someone shone a bright light into my soul. There was no way I could hide from my deepest conscience. (Of course, if you are wondering, Keiko and I are going to heaven.)

Canal City

We headed next to the glittering material world of Canal City, a popular mall with canals not unlike the Venice wannabes in Las Vegas. Watching the sunset unfold on the panoramic window of the cafe, Sweet Museum, we knew it was time to go home.

The author is an avid traveller and amateur photographer.To view the above article with accompanying photographs and to see more photo-journals, please visit http://viewmesomefreejournals.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=AnndreaLaw
http://EzineArticles.com/?24-Hours-in-Fukuoka-City---Travel-Journal&id=399405

No comments: